Casomorphins—breakdown products of the milk protein casein with opiate-like activity—may help explain why autism symptoms sometimes improve with a dairy-free diet.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from his books, DVDs, and speaking directly support NutritionFacts.org).
This is the first in a 6-video series on the role of gluten and dairy-free diets in the treatment of autism. Stay tuned for:
• Does A2 Milk Carry Less Autism Risk? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Does-A2-Milk-Carry-Less-Autism-Risk)
• Gluten-Free Casein-Free Diets for Autism Put to the Test (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Gluten-Free-Casein-Free-Diets-for-Autism-Put-to-the-Test)
• Are Autism Diet Benefits Just a Placebo Effect? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Are-Autism-Diet-Benefits-Just-a-Placebo-Effect)
• Double Blind Clinical Trial of Diet for Autism (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Double-Blind-Clinical-Trial-of-Diet-for-Autism)
• Pros and Cons of Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Diets for Autism (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Pros-and-Cons-of-Gluten-Free-Casein-Free-Diets-for-Autism)
My last autism series explored the amazing story of broccoli sprouts put to the test for the treatment of autistic boys:
• Fever Benefits for Autism in a Food (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/fever-benefits-for-autism-in-a-food)
• Fighting Autism Brain Inflammation with Food (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Fighting-Autism-Brain-Inflammation-with-Food)
• Best Foods for Autism (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Best-Foods-for-Autism)
Other neat videos on milk and child and infant health include:
• Why Do Vegan Women Have 5x Fewer Twins? (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/Why-Do-Vegan-Women-Have-5x-Fewer-Twins?)
• Childhood Constipation and Cow’s Milk (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/childhood-constipation-and-cows-milk/)
• Treating Infant Colic by Changing Mom’s Diet (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/treating-infant-colic-by-changing-moms-diet/)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/autism-and-casein-from-cows-milk and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/autism-and-casein-from-cows-milk. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Google+: https://plus.google.com/+NutritionfactsOrgMD
• Podcast : http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/