Just a dusting of nutritional yeast worth of beta glucan fiber a day is put to the test in a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial for the prevention of common childhood illnesses.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from his books, DVDs, and speaking directly support NutritionFacts.org). Support NutritionFacts.org with a donation at http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate.
Also found beneficial for marathon runners (Preserving Immune Function in Athletes With Nutritional Yeast (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/preserving-immune-function-in-athletes-with-nutritional-yeast/)). Chlorella and wakame may also help boost immunity (Preserving Athlete Immunity with Chlorella (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/preserving-athlete-immunity-with-chlorella) and How to Boost Your Immune System with Wakame Seaweed (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-boost-your-immune-system-with-wakame-seaweed)). And so can produce! (Using the Produce Aisle to Boost Immune Function (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/using-the-produce-aisle-to-boost-immune-function)).
There are some folks that should stay away from the stuff, though:
• Does Nutritional Yeast Trigger Crohn’s Disease? (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/topics/does-nutritional-yeast-trigger-crohns-disease)
• Is Candida Syndrome Real? (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/topics/is-candida-syndrome-real)
• Is Nutritional Yeast Healthy for Everyone? (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/topics/is-nutritional-yeast-healthy-for-everyone)
The How Not to Die Cookbook (available for preorder at NutritionFacts.org/cookbook) has a great recipe in it for Nutty Parm—a condiment I like to put on whole grain pasta, salads, sautéed veggies, and more. Now you can get that recipe on the site at https://nutritionfacts.org/recipe/nutty-parm, as one of our sneak peeks into the cookbook (all proceeds I receive to charity, of course).
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/best-food-to-prevent-common-childhood-infections and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/best-food-to-prevent-common-childhood-infections. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Google+: https://plus.google.com/+NutritionfactsOrgMD
• Podcast : http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/