In certain medical conditions, probiotic supplements may actually make things worse.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”>http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from his books, DVDs, and speaking directly support NutritionFacts.org). Support NutritionFacts.org with a donation at http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate.
This is a link to the video I alluded to: Preventing the Common Cold with Probiotics? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/preventing-the-common-cold-with-probiotics).
I also talk about the potential benefits in my videos Preventing and Treating Diarrhea with Probiotics (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/preventing-and-treating-diarrhea-with-probiotics/) and Gut Feelings: Probiotics and Mental Health (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/gut-feelings-probiotics-and-mental-health/).
Perhaps it would be safer and more effective to instead focus on fostering the growth of the good bacteria with have by feeding them prebiotics (fiber and resistant starch):
• Prebiotics: Tending Our Inner Garden (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/prebiotics-tending-our-inner-garden)
• Boosting Good Bacteria in the Colon Without Probiotics (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/boosting-good-bacteria-in-the-colon-without-probiotics/)
• Resistant Starch and Colon Cancer (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/resistant-starch-colon-cancer)
• Gut Dysbiosis – Starving Our Microbial Self (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-obesity-infectious)
• How to Become a Fecal Transplant Super Donor (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/How-to-Become-a-Fecal-Transplant-Super-Donor)
• Microbiome: We Are What They Eat (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/Microbiome-We-Are-What-They-Eat)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/culture-shock-questioning-the-efficacy-and-safety-of-probiotics and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/culture-shock-questioning-the-efficacy-and-safety-of-probiotics. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Google+: https://plus.google.com/+NutritionfactsOrgMD
• Podcast : http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/